Tuesday, December 9, 2008

My Grandpa's Ornaments


This year I finally put up two trees. The tree in the dining room is more formal














My tree in the sun room is more sentimental. The boys have all of their ornaments on it. My mom always buys the boys a Christmas ornament from some place that she and my dad have traveled. There are ornaments from Europe, Hawaii, Colonial Williamsburg, etc. The tree also has all the ornaments the kids have made at school or church. However, the most precious ornaments on the tree are the ones that my Grandpa Arnold made. Starting in 1977 (that is the first I could find), he made each of his grandchildren and great grandchildren a Christmas ornament. He hand painted them all. Some he even crafted out of wood. This was no easy task. Grandpa has 16 grandchildren and 16 great grandchildren. The ornaments always meant so much but this year I was really thinking about how special it is that he chose the colors, the object, everything with each of us in mind. Some had a special meaning for an event that happened that year. In 2001, he made an American flag in memory of 9/11.

















The first one he made in 1977










Unfortunately, he is no longer able to make the ornaments. He battled lung cancer a few years ago and survived after having a portion of his lung removed. He recently was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. The last ornament that he made was of a WWII airplane. Grandpa was a pilot during WWII and flew the "hump" to china to drop off supplies. It is so fitting that his last ornament was of this plane.




I have so many wonderful memories of him. I remember drinking soda with him and my grandma in downtown Defiance. ( I think it was actually in a drugstore) I remember his store, The Hobby Den, and all the wonderful toys and crafts he sold. Recently, I pulled out the stamp collection he gave me when I was 8. It had belonged to him. He had collected stamps from all over the world from the early 1900's on. After all these years I finally started sorting the stamps and properly placing them in the albums beside the ones that he had placed years ago. I cherish the fact that he entrusted me with his collection. I am so blessed to have my grandparents.

No comments: